Bella Thorne is quickly creating a signature hair look: braids, braids, braids! Whether sporting a fishtail, tiny braid details or even a braided updo, the estrella shows us how to look good (while keeping cool!). We caught up with her hairstylist, Tonya Brewer at Dew Beauty Agency, to get the scoop on how to create the looks at home. Which of these will you be trying?
1. Bella's Braids: Fishtail with Flowers
Brunch Event – Fishtail With Flower Accents
“It was super hot in Palm Springs that weekend and the best way to keep cool is to pull your hair up or to the side!”
What you’ll need:
A clear elastic
Some bobby pins
Get the Look:
1. Brush your hair thoroughly. “When you are creating a fish tail you create lots of small sections so it works best when the hair is free of tangles.”
2. Once the hair is brushed, swoop all of the hair over one shoulder. Divide the hair into two sections.
3. To began the fishtail braid you need to take a small section of hair from the right section and cross it over to the left.
4. Then take a small section of hair from the left side and cross it over to the right.
5. Repeat this process until you reach the bottom.
6. Tie the fish tail off with a clear elastic.
7. Lightly mist the hair with hairspray so everything stays in place.
8. Once that is done take a few flowers with bobby pins and randomly secure them through out the braid.
2. Bella's Braids: Ribbon Braid
Red Carpet – Ribbon Braid
“This was a fun red carpet look that Bella and I thought we could put a twist on one of our favorite hairstyles, which is a fishtail braid.”
What you need:
A few bobby pins
2 pieces of thin ribbon a yard of each color (you made need more or less depending on your hair length)
Clear hair tie
Shu Uemura Fiber Lift Protective Volumizer
Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer Finishing Spray
Get the Look:
1. For Bella's fishtail braid we started with damp hair.
2. Apply Shu Uemura Fiber Lift Protective Volumizer from root to tip and blow dry the hair in large sections using a round brush. “This product is great for adding volume and protecting the hair from heat. “
3. Once the hair is dry, to keep the fishtail secured to one side, braid starting at your right ear and continue the braid down the nape of you neck towards your left shoulder. “You only take the regular braid to the nape of the neck. Doing this keeps the hair secured to one side. “
4. Before starting the next step I lightly misted the hair with Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer Finishing Spray.
5. Bella and I thought it would be great to dress the braid up by adding some ribbon that complemented the dress. So I took the two pieces of velvet ribbon one blue and one green tied them together at one end and I used a bobby pin to secure the ribbon at the top of what will be the start of the fishtail braid.
6. The first step in creating a fishtail braid is to separate the hair into two equal sections. Keep one section in your left hand and one section in your right hand.
7. The next step is to take a thin section of hair from the outside of the right section of hair and cross it over to the left section of hair.
8. Repeat the process on the opposite side by taking a thin section of hair from the outside of the left section of hair and cross it over to the right section of hair.
9. Now the ribbon we pinned in I treated as if it were an extension of her hair and crossed it back and forth in the same pattern.
10. Once you complete this method all the way down you want to tie the bottom of the fishtail off with a clear hair tie.
11. Once the braid was secured I took what was left ribbons and wrapped them around the clear hair tie, tied a knot and cut off the excess ribbon.
12. Once the braid was finished I loosened and pulled at the braid & ribbons to give it a slightly imperfect look.
13. I then secured any loose ends with bobby pins and lightly misted the hair again with the Shu Uemura Sheer Lacquer finishing spray.
3. Bella's Braids: Braided Crown
Movie Premiere – Braided Crown
“This look is a bit more challenging, but worth the effort.”
What you’ll need:
Get the Look:
1. Create a side part on the crown.
2. From that side part take a one-inch section and braid it and tie it off at the end.
3. Then take another one-inch section but this time pin in a thin necklace or chain and create a braid intertwining the necklace as if it were a strand of hair.
4. Once the second braid is complete tie it off. Set those two braids aside.
5. Now , moving on to the back you are going to create lots of random braids and twists and pin the securely to the scalp. “For the back portion I think the messier the better, absolutely no uniform.”
6. Be sure to swoop the two initial braids that we started with on the top to join the rest of your cluster of braids and twists.
7. Once everything is pinned securely, lightly mist the hair with your favorite hairspray.
4. Bella's Braids: Sectioned Pony
MTV Movie Awards – Sectioned Pony
“Bella's hair at the MTV awards we chose to do a simple twist on the classic ponytail. Though it may look complicated it is actually extremely easy.”
What You’ll Need:
An elastic hair tie
A few hair pins
A few clear elastic hair ties
Get the Look:
1. Put the hair in a high ponytail. “I like to mist the hair with hairspray as I am brushing the hair up in to a ponytail to keep the flyways to a minimum.”
2. Once the ponytail is secured, take a thin strand of hair from the bottom of the ponytail and wrap it around the elastic securing it with the hairpins. “When you are attending a more dressy event it is always best to hide the elastic.”
3. Once you have completed the ponytail take your first clear elastic and wrap it around the ponytail about 2 or 3 inches from the 1st elastic.
4. Repeat this step with the clear elastics until you reach the bottom of the ponytail. “Bella has longer hair so I used 6 clear elastics this may very depending on the length of your hair. You may need more or less.”
5. Once all the clear elastics are in place you need to stretch the hair in-between each elastic to give it more of a round appearance. Start from the top and work your way down.
6. Once you complete that step mist the ponytail with hairspray and that’s it!
5. Bella's Braids: Tiny Braid
Coachella – Tiny Braid
“For Coachella we wanted to have fun so I made Bella this adorable wreath with flowers I picked up at my local craft store. We added a simple braid on one side and tied it off with a clear elastic. Super quick and easy!”
1. Section a small piece of hair and braid using traditional method (three pieces).
2. Use a clear elastic to tie off the braid.
3. Spray with hairspray to secure.