Selena Gomez was by far one of the most stunning stars on the 2015 MET Gala, China: Through the Looking Glass red carpet last night. Not only did she wow in a custom Vera Wang white gown, but she went for all out drama when it came to her hair and makeup and luckily for you chicas, we scored the deets on how to recreate her look at home.
Inspired by the Costume Institute’s 2015 exhibit dedicated to Chinese art and design, Renato Campora for Moroccanoil created a modern China doll style for actress and singer, who attended with designer Vera Wang.
- Apply Moroccanoil Volumizing Mousse to wet hair from root-to-tip to create volume at the crown and give strands extra body and bounce.
- Blow dry hair smooth and away from the face using the Moroccanoil Boar Bristle Classic Brush.
- Once dry, flat iron hair in 2” sections to create an ultra-smooth texture and sleek, shiny strands.
- Next, apply Moroccanoil Smoothing Lotion to front sections, smoothing hair back off the face.
- Pull the top section of hair into a tight, smooth ponytail and the crown of the head and secure with clear elastic. Take remaining hair and pull to a low ponytail behind the right ear.
- Mold the top section of hair into a chic, modern shape and secure to the bottom section – tucking the ends underneath.
- Using pins, secure the cascading Cymbidium Orchids from the top of the ponytail down the left side of the head.
- Finish with a generous spritz of Moroccanoil Luminous Hairspray (Strong) for long-lasting hold and red carpet-ready shine.
As for that red lip, Celebrity Makeup Artist Jake Bailey says: “Selena's slinky Vera Wang dress called for an elegant look with a pop of color. I kept her skin fresh and relatively matte for a porcelain effect, and elongated her eyes with a sharp black line and lots of lashes and mascara. I finished the look with a classic matte red lip.”
- First, I gently massaged Flawless Future Powered by Ceramide™ Moisture Cream into the skin to immediately brighten skin and help smooth the appearance of pores.
- I softened Selena’s lips with a dab of Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour® Cream.
- I perfected her skin by buffing a small amount of the Flawless Finish Perfectly Satin 24HR Makeup on her face and neck with a small kabuki brush.
- Using Ceramide Cream Blush in Honey, I warmed up her cheeks, and then set her complexion with a light dusting of Ceramide Skin Smoothing Loose Powder.
- I then used Nars Contour Palette under the cheekbones to give them extra definition and finished with Beautiful Color Radiance Blush in Tearose.
- I lined Selena’s upper lash line with Beautiful Color Precision Glide Eyeliner in Black Violet, creating a sharp angle to give the look of a liquid liner (but easier to apply).
- Next, I dusted her eyelids with Beautiful Color Eyeshadow in Smolder to add a touch of shimmer and pop.
- I applied a strip of natural mink eyelashes and coated them with Beautiful Color Maximum Volume Mascara in Black. I also applied two coats to her bottom lashes for added depth.
- Then, I filled in her brows using Beautiful Color Natural Eye Brow Pencil in Natural Beige and set them in place with Anastasia Brow Gel.
- To add a pop of color and complement her modern China doll look, I lined the lip with Beautiful Color Precision Glide Lip Liner in Red Door Red and finished with Beautiful Color Moisturizing Lipstick in Matte Bold Red.