Strong brows, like Penelope Cruz's, create definition and draw attention to your eyes. Eyebrow specialist Stevi Christine, who has worked on Dancing With the Stars and E! Entertainment gives her steps to recreating the look at home.
1. First, determine the placement of your arch. You can do this by taking a small manicure stick or pen, and placing it at an outward diagonal across your eye and center of the pupil. Where the diagonal point ends is where your arch should be. Because Penelope’s brows are full, you only want to remove stray hairs from under and above the brow—less is more.
2. Once you have determined where your arch should be, begin creating the shape by removing hairs from below the brow line. She recommends a user-friendly, at-home wax kit like Veet High Precision Facial Wax. The small tube of wax has a slanted tip to allow control over the wax flow as you apply it, and it also includes a Precision Tool so you can carefully apply wax close to the brow line to achieve your desired shape (this tool can also double as your arch finder!).
3. Apply a thin layer of wax to clean, dry skin in the direction of hair growth. Place an included fabric strip over the wax and swiftly pull back in the opposite direction of hair growth. Remove any excess wax with warm water.
4. Next, shape the top of the brow with sharp tweezers—these help grab each hair from the root— by removing only the very few straggling hairs. It’s important to remove hairs one at a time so you don’t overdo it. Stevi’s go-to tweezers are the Rubis Classic Gold Slant.
5. Once you’ve cleaned above and below the brow, you have to groom the actual brows by trimming them. Many people skip this step, but it is crucial to achieving the final look. To do this correctly, you will need an eyebrow brush and small scissors which you can pick up at your local drugstore.
6. Start by brushing brow hairs upward to see the extra length. Beginning at the inner brow trim the hairs one at a time to the height of the top of the brow line. To ensure proper trimming, trim only a few and then brush the brows back into the natural shape. You’ll do this step a few times until you reach the end of the brow.
7. Once grooming is complete, maximize the fullness of the brows and add depth with brow powder and tinted brow gel: Start by using a brow powder that matches your hair’s color. She likes Laura Mercier's Brow Powder Duo because you can mix the two to achieve your perfect shade. Starting at the arch of the brow, lightly fill in sparse spaces with the powder and a slanted brush until you reach the outer end of the brow. Next, apply tinted brow gel from the start of the brow to the arch. Gel is preferable to powder because it has a lighter application. The color is applied directly to the hairs while the gel tames brows into place.
8. For a final pop, apply a matte eye shadow that matches your skin tone directly under the brows. It will perfectly showcase your results.