Happy birthday, Zoe Saldana! The Dominican and Puerto Rican Guardians of the Galaxy actress turns 36 today. We're celebrating one of our favorite Latinas today by highlighting 10 things you (probably) never knew about her:
Next Slideshow: 12 Kids Who Don't Look Like Their Parents
View All Slides
1. Zoe was born Zoe Yadira Saldaña Nazario in Passaic, New Jersey on June 19, 1978 to a Puerto Rican mother named Asalia Nazario and Dominican father named Aridio Saldaña.
2. Zoe is the middle child. She has two sisters named Mariel and Cisely Saldana. Mariel, Zoe, and Cisely were each born one year apart and are all left-handed.
3. The Dominican and Puerto Rican starlet also has Hatian and Lebanese roots.
4. Zoe's father perished in a car accident when she was just 9-years-old, prompting her mother to move the family to the Dominican Republic.
5. While residing in the Dominican Republic, Zoe discovered her love for the art of dance. She enrolled in the ECOS Espacio de Danza Academy where she studied ballet, jazz, and modern Latin dance.
6. The newly turned 36-year-old's first on-screen appearance was in 1999 on an episode of Law & Order called "Merger."
7. Zoe made her big screen debut in the film Center Stage -- a movie about a group of young dancers from various backgrounds who enroll at the fictitious American Ballet Academy in New York City. Her ballet training certainly paid off with this role.
8. The Rosemary's Baby actress is super proud of being Latina and loves her culture, but has said that she also considers herself a black woman. When discussing about the press asking her whether she considers herself Dominican or American, Zoe says she always responds the same way. "I say, time and time again, 'I am a black woman."
Zoe was also once quoted saying, "It doesn't matter how much backlash I will get for it. I will honor and respect my black community because that's who I am."
9. Zoe is a self-proclaimed sci-fi geek! "I'm very proud to say I am a geek. But I'm kind of a cool geek," she once said. "I grew up in a very sci-fi home so I've seen a lot of sci-fi movies, from Dune to Alien, 2001, E.T., Batteries Not Included... All these films I go crazy for."
10. Zoe is one of the founders of MyFBD.com, a site launched along with ex Keith Britton, that has been deemed the IMDB of fashion.