Mayans MC finally premiered tonight and we don't think we managed to breathe once during the entire episode. The FX series takes place four years after the series finale of Sons of Anarchy and although this is a whole new story, don't be surprised when reminders from the past come waltzing in.
If you haven't watched the episode yet, please avoid reading any further into this post. For those of you who tuned in, here is a breakdown of the top 5 moments from the Mayans MC premiere--- featuring commentary from some of the cast and crew.
1. If you watched Sons of Anarchy, a beautiful black crow would make an appearance anytime things were about to go down for the motorcycle club. The MC was known as Sons of Anarchy Motorcycle Club Redwood Original, SAMCRO or Sam Crow for short. In the intro for the first episode of Mayans MC, you see a wolf make sure that the crow was good and dead.
"Not in a million years would I have ever tried to say we should [kill the crow] or even hint that we should, that was all Kurt," series creator and executive producer Elgin James told Latina.com.
"He was the only one that could really do that. It was important to him and I thought it was really beautiful--- a beautiful gift to us. Like, 'Ok, that's in the past and we're ready to start something new." For all of us from the actors to the writers to the crew, we knew what that meant for him. We felt like he really gave us a fresh start."
2. Ezekiel "EZ" Reyes, played by J.D. Pardo, is very different from SOA lead Jax Teller (Charlie Hunnam). When we first meet EZ, he's wearing a Stanford sweatshirt and it's not just for show. He was destined to attend the ivy league college but things didn't work out that way for him.
Jax was born into that life. His father John Teller was a founder and first president of the Sons of Anarchy MC.
There are some great scenes between EZ and his father Felipe Reyes, played by legendary actor Edward James Olmos, where they discuss books. EZ's does not belong in this world, yet here is pledging a motorcycle club, where things will certainly end up badly. He still has time to change his mind, but then what type of show would this be? ha ha ha
3. There are a lot of similarities between EZ and cartel leader Miguel Galindo (Danny Pino). Both had bright futures on the right side of the law yet they both end up part of criminal organizations. There are a lot of parallels between these two characters that have yet to be revealed. At the very least, audiences now know that they're involved in a love triangle with blonde beauty Emily, played by Sarah Bolger.
"You will definetly learn more about the parallels between Miguel and EZ," Pardo explained. "They are running parallel lives. They're both being brought into this family of crime, if you will. Not in a way that they want to be in it and they're finding out the hard way that there are rules that they have to live by for the survival of their families."
4. Sarah Bolger learned Spanish to play the role of EZ's true love, Emily Thomas. Not only that, but the Irish actress also had to use an American accent on the show.
5. EZ is a snitch, basically the worst thing you can be in this type of world. He killed a cop and ended up making a deal with Agent Kevin Jimenez, played by Maurice Compte. Although this is a new show, it's still a part of the same world--- one where agents don't make it out alive. #RIPAgentStahl
"It's a very ruthless show and so you have to have a certain level of ruthlessness to be able to overcome the living factor on the show," Compte said. "I think the show absolutely needs characters that are maybe not on same level of ruthlessness because otherwise you're in a vacuum. Sometimes you need someone like Kevin Jimenez as an anchor between these two worlds. He's throwing EZ this life raft to save himself. He gets to choose his path and we get to be with him and it speaks to us about our path."
Mayans MC airs Tuesday night's on FX.