One of the best days of summer is hands down National Watermelon Day (Aug. 3rd). It's basically up there with gazpacho day, corn on the cob day, margarita day... you get the point. To celebrate, we've rounded up four delicioso drink recipes (and one non-alcoholc smoothie) for you to enjoy. Oh, and don't forget to check out our sister site, The Latin Kitchen, for even more mouthwatering watermelon ideas!
Next Slideshow: Must-See TV: The Best Cooking Shows to Watch When It's Just Too Hot To Leave Home
The agave nectar in this drink gives it a sweet kick without being overbearing; and let's be honest — it looks really good in a pitcher.
Created by Mixologist Johnny Swet. Served at JIMMY at The James in New York City.
- 3 watermelon cubes, muddled
- 1 purple basil sprig
- 3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters
- ½ agave nectar
- ¾ lime juice
- 2 oz. Tito’s Vodka
- Fill rocks glass with ice cubes and all ingredients.
- Stir to combine.
- Garnish with 2 spiked watermelon cubes and a basil sprig.
We will never turn down an adult beverage made with tequila and watermleon. Those two things just go well together.
Avión Watermelon Cocktail
- 2 parts Avión Silver or Reposado
- 1 part fresh lime juice
- 4 one-inch cubes fresh watermelon
- 1 squeeze agave nectar
- In a mixing glass, muddle watermelon with agave nectar.
- Add remaining ingredients and shake vigorously with ice.
- Fine strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish as desired.
This is the most refreshing thing you could drink on a hot summer day, hence the name...
Served at The Skylark by mixologist Johnny Swet.
Add the Following Ingredients:
- 5 watermelon cubes, divided
- pinch Thai basil, with extra to garnish
- ¾ oz. lime juice
- ½ oz. agave nectar
- 2 oz. Tito’s Vodka
- 3 dashes Thai bitters
- In a metal shaker, muddle 3 cubes watermelon and pinch Thai basil. Add remaining ingredients (reserving 2 watermelon cubes and extra Thai basil for garnish) and fill with ice.
- Shake vigorously then strain into a rocks glass over cubed ice.
- Garnish with 2 skewered watermelon cubes and a Thai basil sprig.
This is the watermleon-meets-bubbly portion of the program and it's amazing.
Top of the World
Served at Spyglass in New York City
- 3 large watermelon cubes
- 1 oz. Aperol
- ¼ oz. St. Germain
- 3 oz. Prosecco or Cava
- Muddle watermelon cubes in a mixing glass. Add ice, Aperol, and St. Germain.
- Shake, strain, and pour into a champagne flute.
- Top with Prosecco or Cava and garnish with a watermelon cube.
Jalapeño just makes everything better, don't you think?
BELLA Sweet & Spicy Watermelon Smoothie
- 1 - 2 cups watermelon, cubed and frozen
- ½ cup frozen pineapple
- ½ cup coconut water
- 6 thin slices jalapeño, seeds removed, divided
- Combine first 3 ingredients and 4 slices jalapeño in BELLA Rocket Extract PRO. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into 2 glasses and garnish each with remaining jalapeño slices.