It’s a new year, which should be worth celebrating considering the shitshow that was 2016. But when you realize what made last year the absolute worst – Donald Trump being named the president-elect – will actually come into fruition in just a few days, that can bring back all of the tears and anxious sweats.
To help, here are some powerful quotes we hope you will remember throughout Trump’s frightening presidency.
1. "When tyranny is law, revolution is order." - Pedro Albizu Campos
2. "You must never be fearful about what you are doing when it is right." - Rosa Parks
3. "If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor." - Desmond Tutu
4. “Though we tremble before uncertain futures, may we meet illness, death and adversity with strength, may we dance in the face of our fears.” - Gloria E. Anzaldúa
5. “Your silence will not protect you.” - Audre Lorde
6. “Usually when people are sad, they don't do anything. They just cry over their condition. But when they get angry, they bring about a change.” - Malcolm X
7. "If you are silent about your pain, they'll kill you and say you enjoyed it." - Zora Neale Hurston
8. "Only an organized and conscious people can bring about a different kind of society." - Salvador Allende
9. "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." - Alice Walker
10. “A system cannot fail those it was never meant to protect.” - W.E.B. Du Bois
11. “Truth is powerful and it prevails.” - Sojourner Truth
12. “The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall.” - Che Guevara
13. “True resistance begins with people confronting pain...and wanting to do something to change it" - bell hooks
14. “Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe.” - Frederick Douglas
15. "Young people have a duty to defend their country with weapons of knowledge." - Pedro Albizu Campos
16. “Nobody in the world, nobody in history, has ever gotten their freedom by appealing to the moral sense of the people who were oppressing them.” - Assata Shakur
17. “When tyranny becomes law, rebellion is a right.” - Simon Bolivar
18. “A riot is the language of the unheard.” - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
19. "Art is our weapon. Culture is a form of resistance." - Shirin Neshat
20. “Don’t let it end like this. Tell them I said something.” - Pancho Villa