Latinos are unimpressed with Hillary Clinton’s hispandering.
On Tuesday, the Democratic frontrunner’s campaign published an advertisement listing “7 things Hillary Clinton has in common with your abuela,” and Latino twitter exploded in outrage, defending their abuelitas from an unlikely, and for some offensive, comparison.
The hashtag #NotMyAbuela was even trending for a few hours. Some social media users were upset with Clinton’s team, which surprisingly consists of many Latinos, hispandering – faking interest in Latino culture for political gain – while others took the opportunity to call out Clinton’s support of issues their abuelitas don’t stand behind, matters like mass deportation and war.
In case there’s still any confusion on the Hillary for America campaign, here are a few ways Clinton is nothing like our Latina abuelitas.
1. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
1. Our abuelas have been ripped away from us by deportation measures that Clinton has expressed support for.
2. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
2. Our abuelas are separated from us thanks to militarized borders, which Clinton has voted for, and bragged about, numerous times.
3. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
3. Our abuelas actually do care about children, and they would never support the bombing of thousands of innocent civilian niños during wartime, as Clinton has.
4. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
4. Our abuelas hate the prison industrial complex, though they’d never call it that, which locks up their hijos and have in the past helped fund Clinton’s campaign.
5. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
5. Our abuelas labored on the fields, in sweatshops and in factories that Wal-Mart, where Clinton sat on the board of directors for six years, exploits.
6. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
6. Our abuelas’ Spanish-speaking skills extend far beyond “basta,” which Clinton has used repeatedly to fire back at Donald Trump and get Latinos’ support.
7. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
7. Our abuelas want to save Latino children from the violence occurring in our homelands; they would never banish us back to brutality and poverty, as Clinton has championed sending unaccompanied minors back to the throes of Central America’s wars.
8. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
8. Our abuelas understand that Latinos are diverse and multifaceted, not a monolithic group politicians can reach with a listicle.
9. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
9. Our abuelas started looking at Marc Anthony sideways when he called Clinton “Latina at heart,” though they probably played “Valio La Pena” afterwards.
10. Hillary Clinton is Nothing Like Our Abuelas
10. Our abuelas help their communities; they don’t go to speak in Puerto Rico about the island’s economic crisis and then bring back $500,000 in campaign money.